Monday, January 10, 2011

Modern Game

It's been far too long. I apologize. Here we go...

Bewildering Break
I can't explain it. I have been off my usual game this break, not myself. I don't know what it is...probably change. I will embrace it when it comes. I'm sitting in my room listening to one of my favorite birthday/Christmas presents that I got this break. It's The Kills album "Midnight Boom" on vinyl, given by Miss Amanda Kirkscey. This is such an inspiring album. They are one of the more underrated bands I have ever heard. This LP rivals my sister's intuitive present, a T. Rex album "Slider." This is the best Christmas break I've ever had. Even the presents stood out. I also got a new bike for school, a hybrid mountain-road bike. Totes practical. Also, some "obscenely expensive" sunglasses, as my mom described them, but they make me happy. My lifelong friend Alyssa gave me something very cool too. A picture frame that she drew a picture of us together because we don't really have any pictures of us together that are recent. I thought it was super original.
Post Alyssa's tragic arm losing accident
I also got other very cool records and stuff from people including a signed Karen Elson record from Sam Pogue, very gracious, Coldplay album "Parachutes" from my brother, very cool, and a sealed copy of "Icky Thump" from my new brother Katherine got. It's eye candy that sits on my dresser.

If you pay attention to my facebook you probably saw the carnage of my trip to the ranch. Another highly efficient trip with the Reynolds family. This was a main event in this event filled break.

So enough of my personal life...

Sick Thoughts
The first thought that popped into my head this morning when I woke up was "curing cancer wouldn't be all good." This came somewhere between dream state and conscience because I only recognized the thought a little later in the morning (afternoon). This was one of the more random thoughts I have had. It came after a night of disturbing dream, which came after a night of disturbing reality. Do people realize what cancer does for our economy? The billion dollar industry that employs many people. Money spent by patients and researchers on treatment, doctors, equipment, research, etc... So what happens when cancer is cured? Spending goes down... People lose their jobs or at least pay decreases... On the upside we save people from dying though. Maybe it's just interesting to me. If you had paranoia, you could even theorize a conspiracy theory where cancer has already been cured but the government is holding it back to keep that economic sector for a while longer. It's not like we have had incredible improvements in the past 20 years. The numbers are improving yes, but as one scientist said "We're not getting out butt kicked as bad as we were 20 years ago."
There is not a shred of truth to a conspiracy though, and I truly hope someone finds a groundbreaking cure to the fight of cancer. It comes down to choosing morals above all else. It just reminds me that there is usually negatives to every positive along these lines. Abortion is a similar study. Legalize abortion, crime rate decreases. Again, I choose morals. 

If you know me, then you know how to take these things I say, along with my dark sense of humor. 

I pick the upset tonight. Oregon by 5. 


No comments:

Post a Comment